Camiguin is a small island in the northwest of the province of Mindanao, south of Philippines. I was looking for a diving destination a bit off the beaten track, to relax for a week and not really know what I was going to see underwater. Well, no one had advised me to go down there, there might be a reason ... diving in Camiguin nothing special for an experienced diver… However if you are a beginner, the island is very cool, good atmosphere, no people, nice places and diving is good to start.
Context: I was manager of French Kiss Divers Coron for 1 year, so I had the opportunity to explore the Philippines a bit more and Camiguin is part of these trips.
ARTICLE GUIDELINES # Overview # Presentation # Diving # Dive sites # Seasons and conditions # Dive centers # Accommodation # Get to # My diving review
CAMIGUIN DIVING INFO
- Best diving period Camiguin : January to June.
- Best Camiguin dive sites : White island (Black forest and Kilambing), Mantigue island.
- Marine life : turtles + classic tropical fish.
- Access : from Bohol or Cebu
- No French diving club.
Recommendations by diver category: > New diver : good compromise between nice island and do a little diving, good conditions to learn but not sure of my quality of the centers, not too expensive. > Confirmed : nice but there is much better in the Philippines (in the same sector prefer Bohol / Panglao / Balicasag or Padre Burgos). > Experienced : nothing exceptional for you ...
PRESENTATION OF CAMIGUIN
Where is Camiguin?
- Camiguin is a small island north of the large island (and province) of Mindanao (you know, the one where you should not go according to the government 🙂)
- Classic island of the Philippines with its volcano in the middle and a road that runs all around!
- No beach on the island ...
- 2 main attractions:
- White islandwhich is actually a bar of sand more than an island!
- Mantigue island, a beautiful little island that looks like Balicasag on Bohol
CAMIGUIN DIVING OPINION
How is diving in Camiguin?
- Well, I did research and Camiguin must have been a little macro paradise with frogfish and seahorses everywhere ... well I haven't seen one! I looked though !!
- A very average visibility, between 5 and 12 m.
- Marine life : clownfish everywhere, turtles on Mantigue and White Island, angel fish, parrot fish, boxfish, cowfish…
- Beautiful corals on Mantigue and White island.
- Nice, but nothing special.
- If you have a day diving to do, go to Mantigue.
For an experienced diver
- There is much better in the Philippine
- In the same preferred area Bohol / Panglao / Balicasag or Padre Burgos.
For a new diver
- The conditions are good for learning
- On the other hand, I am not sure about the quality of training in the centers ...
Camiguin diving photos
Camiguin diving video
BEST CAMIGUIN DIVING SITES
Map of Camiguin dive sites
What are the best dive sites in Camiguin?
- White island:
- Black forest : a drift with a lot of current, a kind of soft and hard coral fields. Nice but not breathtaking, a turtle, a cuttlefish, 2-3 nudibranchs and classic fish. 10-12 m of visibility.
- Kilambing : same kind as black forest, with less current and less corals.
- Mantigue island
- South West part : nice slope to dive, turtle, lots of fish, pretty corals, some nudibranchs.
- Turtle point : of course big turtles always in the same place, small schools of fish (barracudas, fusiliers ...), cuttlefish, ribbon eel, nudibranch, pretty corals ... a bit like Balicasagbut less well.
- Old volcano : a lot of soft corals, very beautiful, but 5-8 m visibility (apparently it's the same all year ...), so very frustrating, we do not appreciate its true value ... Same configuration as Gato island in Malapascua (except that there are a lot of macros to look for) and Apo Island (but there are many more fish and huge turtles).
BEST PERIOD FOR DIVING IN CAMIGUIN
You can almost dive all year round at Camiguin but the best diving season is from January to June.
When to dive Camiguin ?
- Avoid the rainy season at Camiguin of July to September.
- Avoid the cyclone season at Camiguin October to December: it does not normally rain, but a cyclone alert can occur at any time and diving trips can be canceled for several days.
Camiguin diving conditions:
- Visibility to Camiguin : on average 20 m.
- Water temperature at Camiguin : 27-29 ° on average.
- Current Camiguin : it depends on the sites, but not reputed to have strong currents.
CAMIGUIN DIVING CLUBS
The best Camiguin dive centers
So it's simple there are only 4! They are all small boats, fairly old equipment and local divemasters who speak only moderately English…
- Johnny's dive 'N' sun: the oldest.
- I dived 2 days with them, everything went well, but aging equipment and small boat.
- By cons they are in the best area to house
- They have 2 (small) boats
- Camiguin various souls: small but nice.
Ditto, I plunged with them a day on M
- Camiguin Volcano Eco Beach resort & dive: the most expensive ...
- they were complete.
- These are the most expensive.
- Dive special: not dived with them.
French diving club in Camiguin
- There are not to my knowledge of French-speaking diving club in Camiguin.
- I advise you send an email before to check those who may have French speaking staff.
HOTEL PLONGEE CAMIGUIN
Housing Camiguin Philippines
- Stay in front of White island, lots of nice little homestays / cottages, it's really the coolest area, with wifi working !
- I stayed at Paguia cottage, private room with toilet for 800 php / night.
- Otherwise, there are lots of little resorts / hotel around the island if you want to be more isolated.
HOW TO GO TO CAMIGUIN IN THE PHILIPPINES
It is quite simple to get to Camiguin, either by plane or by ferry from several islands including Cebu and Bohol.
Getting to Camiguin by plane:
- Camiguin at an airport
- It deserted the main cities of the Philippines: Manila, Cebu, Coron…
Go to Camiguin by boat from Bohol
- 4 hours by boat from Jagna port (south of Bohol).
- One ferry per day, departure every day.
- Price: 9$
MY DIVING REVIEW ON CAMIGUIN
Okay, well, that won't stay not one of my best diving memories, that's for sure! As I repeated in the article, it all depends on your level, the experienced, go your way, there are better elsewhere in the Philippines ; new divers, you should find your account there, especially since the island is nice!
Articles that may interest you:
- Top 10 Philippines
- All diving destinations in the Philippines
- Apo island
- Apo Reef
- Bohol, Panglao, Balicasag
- Coron, Coron wrecks, Barracuda lake, The dugongs of Coron
- Donsol, Snorkeling in Donsol
- Malapascua, Malapascua Fox Sharks, Malapascua 3 day stay
- The sardines of Moalboal
- Padre Burgos
- Puerto Galera
- Tubbataha reef