Macro: diving in Dauin is made for fans of macro, especially those who like muck dive ! The Philippines abound with good macro sites, but Dauin is most certainly the best after Anilao. The dives in the black sand which borders the coasts makes it possible to find very rare species, like frog fish, seahorses, pipe fish, octopuses with blue rings and mimicry. Be careful, if you don't like the macro, do not dive in Dauin there is no reef, prefer Apo island right in front.
Context: I spent almost 2 years in the Philippines, I worked as an instructor in Malapascua and Bohol, then I was manager of French Kiss Divers Coron for 1 year. I dived for 1 week at Apo island and Dauin.
ARTICLE GUIDELINES > Overview > Presentation > Diving with > Seasons and conditions > Dive sites > Diving club > How to get there > Accommodation > My diving review
DIVING DAUIN INFOS
- The best places to muck dive (macro diving on black sand) from the Philippines.
- Best diving season Dauin : October to June.
- No reef dives.
- The best place to start diving in Apo island.
- Quite complicated to access.
- Few diving centers, no French diving club.
Recommendations by category of divers: > New diver : not recommended. > Confirmed : if you are really a fan of macro, otherwise go diving at Apo island in front. > Experienced : if you are a fan of muck dive, you will not be disappointed.
PRESENTATION OF DAUIN
Where is Dauin?
- Dauin is a small village on the island of Negros and is a 30-minute drive below the big city of Dumaguete.
- There is not much in Dauin : a small town center, some diving centers, some accommodation, 2 or 3 bars…
- The beach bordering Dauin is black sand.
DIVING DAUIN NOTICE: MACRO IN THE PHILIPPINES
- Dauin is a famous dive site in the Philippines if you are a macro fan.
- Dives in Dauin are exclusively from the muck dive!
- For those who did not know this thermal it is a dive where you look for rare macros species (like ghost fish, seahorses, frogfish, octopus mimic, blue ringed octopus ...).
- So there is no coral, we dive on a ground or a slope of black sand and we search!
- If you are a photographer, it's about you will surely find cool species to photograph.
- For all others (beginners or confirmed), it's really not the most exciting dives I've done ...
BEST PERIOD TO DIVE IN DAUIN
The best diving season in Dauin is tooctober to june.
When to dive in Dauin?
- Avoid the rainy season in Dauin of July to September. The boats leave but the visibility is less good than the rest of the year.
- Cyclone season in the Philippines is from october to december but Dauin is in the south of the Philippines and is less affected than other areas.
Dauin diving conditions:
- Visibility in Dauin : between 10 and 15 m.
- Dauin water temperature : 27-29 ° on average.
- Current in Dauin : no.
BEST DAUIN DIVING SITES
Map of dive sites in Dauin
DAUIN DIVING CLUB
The best Dauin diving clubs
There are a dozen dive centers in Dauin.
I wanted to dive with them but they were full.
They had good reviews and they had the advantage of offering cheap housing on site.
If you want to dive to Apo island mode fighter is the center that I will recommend. I also advise you to book in advance!
As Bongo Bongo was full, I dipped with them.
It is a small center with a boat and 2 instructors / divemasters
We are obliged to take a car to go to the boat.
Nothing special to say, Friendly staff, everything went well.
I heard a lot of good from Liquid Resort.
A resort with pretty bungalows, comfortable rooms, swimming pool ...
If you want comfort and a dive package, this is the bottom I recommend going.
French diving club in Dauin
- There are not to my knowledge of French-speaking diving club in Dauin nor Dumaguete.
- I advise you send an email before to check those who may have French speaking staff.
HOTEL PLONGEE DAUIN
- There is not much accommodation in Dauin:
- You can also stay at Dumaguete.
HOW TO GO IN DAUIN
It is not so simple to to go to Dauin, you will have to go first to Cebu city, then Dumaguete.
Getting to Dumaguete
The first step will be to get to Dumaguete, the capital of Eastern Negro, from Manila (by plane) from Cebu (several options).
Cebu to Dumaguete route
- Speed boat Cebu to Dumaguete
- With Ocean jet from Cebu city (½ day, price = 1500 PHP).
- No direct connection, we must stop at Bohol (Tagbilaram).
- Several departures per day from Cebu to Bohol (time = 2h, price PHP 800).
- 2 departures from Bohol to Dumaguete (7h30 and 12h10), the schedules here (time = 2h, price PHP 700).
- Cebu to Dumaguete ferry route from Cebu city (time 4h-6h)
- There are 4 ferries that link from Cebu city to Dumaguete.
- Several departures a day, all the schedule here.
- Flight from Cebu to Dumaguete by plane: Cebu city direct flight to Dumaguete.
Dumaguete to Dauin
Pmake a jeepney (or a taxi) and 20-30 min (300 PHP) you are in Dauin.
MY OPINION ON DIVING IN DAUIN
Dauin is considered a at the macro macro spot in the Philippines (after Anilao). If you are experienced and know what diving is all about " muck dive "(Look for macro in coral-free corners), nfeel free to go, there are incredible specimens. On the other hand, if you are not more fan than that, or don't understand the term "muck dive", don't go, you will piss yourself off !
Articles that may interest you:
- Apo island
- Top 10 Philippines
- All diving destinations in the Philippines
- Bohol, Panglao, Balicasag
- Coron, Coron wrecks, Barracuda lake, The dugongs of Coron
- Donsol, Snorkeling in Donsol
- Malapascua, Malapascua Fox Sharks, Malapascua 3 day stay
- The sardines of Moalboal
- Padre Burgos
- Puerto Galera
- Tubbataha reef