Some sea turtles of the Gili Islands have almost become a passage during a trip in Indonesia, normal, there are hundreds! The best spots for to swim with the sea turtles are around Gili Meno and Gili Air but honestly you can also see some on Gili Trawangan and you have towers in snorkeling any of Gili Islands. In diving, you are almost guaranteed to see on any site around the Gili Islands. If you want to see and swim with a sea turtles for the first time (or not), go directly to Gili Islands!
Background: The Gili Islands are probably the place I know best in the world of diving, I did all my levels !! My open water and my advanced on Gili T in 2011, my rescue and my divemaster on Gili Air in 2014 and I worked as an instructor for 1 year on Gili Air (2017-2018).
ARTICLE GUIDELINES # Overview # Where are the Gilis # Gilis turtles # Where and when # In snorkeling # In diving # Turtle Info # My diving review
TURTLES IN GILI ISLANDS INFO
- When? They are there all year long.
- Or? Around the 3 islands.
- Best snorkeling spots : south east Gili Meno, south east Gili Air (see map).
- Best dive sites : Turtle heaven, Han's reef, Shark point.
WHERE THE GILIS ISLANDS ARE
- They are very close to Bali, 2h speedboat to the east.
- On the other hand, many people think that they are part of Bali (like Nusa Lembongan or Nusa Penida), but not at all, they are part of Lombok !
- So they are a lot more accessible from Lombok (10-20 min).
TURTLES OF GILI ISLANDS
- Gili Islands are a nesting place for turtles.
- They therefore always return to the Gili Islands to lay their eggs.
- There are always and all year turtles around the Gili Islands.
- If you want to learn some interesting facts about turtles (how long can they stay under water ...), I invite you to read this article.
WHERE TO SEE TURTLES IN GILI ISLANDS?
- You can see the gili turtles on the edge of any Gilis Islands (Trawangan, Air or Meno), but check the best places (snorkeling / diving) below.
- There is no season, they are there all year long !
See the turtles at Gili Meno
- There are all around Gili Meno (this is where they come mostly lay).
- You can get into the water almost anywhere around Meno you will see.
- The most famous spot: south east of the island (to the dive site Turtle heaven).
- Strangely to the northwest (Bounty wreck area), there are many less.
See the turtles at Gili Trawangan
- In front of all the main beach to the south, you can see some.
- The Halik area to the east is perfect too, with a beautiful reef.
- When diving, I recommend the Shark Point area to the north of the island, but not in snorkeling, too much subject to the current and the wave.
See the turtles at Gili Air
- The best corner is going to be south east of the island, to the Han's reef area
- You can potentially see on all the south from the island (from Han's reef to the port).
- The snorkeling area to the north is not the easiest to access, too far from the coast.
BEST TIME TO SEE TURTLES IN GILI ISLANDS
There is no season to see turtles in the Gili Islands, they are there all year round!
DIVING WITH TURTLES IN GILI AVIS ISLANDS
- Yes, you can easily see snorkeling, but there will be many people with you, especially our favorite Chinese groups who can not swim!
- If you are a diver, I advise you to go diving and see them more ready and with less people around you.
The best dive sites:
- Turtle heaven:
- The best known because it is a turtle cleaning station (ie a place where turtles are "cleaned" by other fish).
- You are guaranteed to see! Sometimes up to 10 during the dive !!
- But suddenly everyone goes, and in high season it's a lot of bubbles in one place!
- Han's reef
- Less known because further from Gili trawangan (which is where there are the most dive centers).
- Like Turtle heaven, there is a place where there are always 1, 2, 3 or 4 turtles! You are guaranteed to see it!
- The advantage is that there are fewer people than Turtle heaven.
- Shark point :
- We mostly go to Shark Point to try to see sharks.
- But in the shallower part (around 5 / 10m), so at the end of the dive, we always see turtles, especially nested eating!
- Sites where we also see regularly : Meno wall, Halik, Manta point.
MY OPINION ON DIVING WITH TURTLES IN THE GILI ISLANDS
Frankly, if your dream is to see sea turtles, whether diving or simply snorkeling, the Gili Islands it's a safe bet! Of all the places I've been, this is where I've seen the most turtles !! The Gili islands are also great little islands where you can relax, have fun and learn to dive !
Articles that may interest you:
- Top 10 Indonesia
- All diving destinations in INDONESIA
- BALI / GILI
- BANDA SEA
- Banda Islands
- Ring of fire
- RAJA AMPAT, all the info