Macro: divemaster training is the first professional level of diving in PADI and SSI. For become a divemaster, as you commonly say, you will need " make your divemaster", Which is therefore a diving training. So what is a divemaster ? All the answers here.
WHAT IS A PADI DIVEMASTER?
DIVEMASTER: THE THEORY
Behavior and knowledge of a divemaster
This is not the most complicated part:
- Divemaster behavior : with the divers, in a diving center, the tasks to be carried out ...
- Group Management : learn how to manage a group of divers, organize dives ...
- Manage issues : before, during and after the dive (review and deepening of the "Rescue" training)
- Manage all types of dives : night, deep, beach edge, drifting, wreck ...
- Legal part and other "paperwork"
- Business: how to sell dives, equipment ...
This is a little more complicated!
- Physical : Laws of Boyle, Dalton, Henry, Archimedes ...
- Physiology : decompression sickness, lung expansion, nitrogen narcosis, oxygen toxicity ...
- Decompression theory : nitrogen, partial pressure, compartment, half time, M-Value ...
- The aquatic environment : marine life, current, injuries and treatments ...
- Equipment : regulator, stab, computer ...
DIVEMASTER: "PHYSICAL" EVENTS
As a divemaster you must also be able to manage certain emergencies, you will have some proofs to prove it.
- Float for 15 minutes : with hands out of the water the last 2 minutes.
- Swimming 400 m without mask and snorkel : timed event.
- Swim 800 m with mask and snorkel : timed event.
- Towing an unconscious diver over 100 m : on the surface, unassisted, with diving equipment, proof scored from 1 to 5.
- Equipment exchange under water (or commonly known as stress test "): Exchange bottle + stab, mask, fins and underwater weighting system, sharing the air of a single regulator, proof scored from 1 to 5.
During your training you have some exercises of practical application in the form of "scenarios".
Divemaster: Deep dive scenario at 40 m (Deep scenario)
- As a divemaster you will be certified to supervise divers up to 40 m.
- For this you will have to do a deep diving scenario. You will learn to do a briefing a little more, especially on the safety instructions related to a deep dive (safety step, relief of decompression, rescue bottle placed 5 m under the boat ...).
- You will go down to 40m using all the necessary safety procedures and remaining within the time limit of no decompression.
- You will go out of all visual cues and you will have to be able to steer you and come back from where you left.
Divemaster: Search & recovery scenario
This test is in two parts:
- 1e Part: Research
You must find a small object underwater (ex: a mask, a palm…). The methods of the centers may vary, but roughly speaking, you will have to adapt to the given scenario, use a compass and choose the best search method depending on the conditions (visibility, current, site, etc.).
- 2e Part: Recovery
You will need to be able to safely go up to the surface a heavy object (no more than 10 kg) from the bottom. For that you use a lifting bag "Lift bag" and connect it to the object using different nodes (bowline, two half-hitches or sheet bend ...). Then you will have to control the lifting of the object thanks to the lifting bag.
Divemaster: Scenario to rescue an unconscious diver underwater (Rescue scenario)
You will redo the exercise already validated during your Rescue, namely:
- Reassure safely an unconscious diver underwater.
- Being non-responsive and non-breathable, tow him to the beach by mouth-to-mouth every 5 seconds and at the same time.
- Use the good exit technique on the beach / boat.
- Give him 100% oxygen on the beach / boat.
Divemaster: Emergency action plan scenario
- As a divemaster you must be able to to manage an emergency situation that would occur during one of your dive trips (diver gone, decompression accident, diver who is bitten by a lion fish ...).
- Your instructor will give you a scenario (there is no typical scenario, it really depends on where you are) and will ask you to build a "Emergency action plan" according to this scenario. You will have to describe all the actions performed, in which order, by whom, objects used, all emergency contacts ...
- It's very formative, I learned a lot during this exercise.
DIVEMASTER: EXERCISES / EVENTS RELATED TO TRAINING
- The divemaster is the first step towards trainingeither alone or by assisting an instructor.
- Do your divemaster in the form of an internship will therefore have an enormous interest for all the tests and exercises below, since you will attend instructors permanently and practice on a regular basis (the 8 reasons to do your divemaster internship here).
Ensure a "refresher" for a diver: a refresh
- If a diver, even certified, does not dive for several months, see many years, he will have forgotten many things, you will need to be able to upgrade or "refresh" it:
- Explain and demonstrate equipment assembly and disassembly.
- Pre-dive control
- Basic exercises : regulator cleaning and recovery, mask cleaning, use of the emergency source, emergency lift, buoyancy ...
Attend an open water course and other training
- As a divemaster you will be able to help instructorsso you must attend at least one full open water course, which is the basic course of diving and which will help you prepare your skills circuit (see below).
- You will also have to participate in another training offered after open water: Advanced, Rescue, Nitrox…
Demonstrate all the open water exercises (the skills circuit)
- Finally, as a divemaster you will be empowered to help instructors, you must be able to demonstrate ALL the open water exercises in a qualitative way. It's both one of the coolest and most difficult events!
- If you want to continue and become an instructor, this part is very important!
PRACTICAL EXERCISES OF PALANQUEE GUIDE
This is the part where doing your divemaster in the form of internship will have the most impact (the 8 reasons to do your divemaster internship here). The standards ask to do the exercises below only once, during an internship you do it continuously!
Preparation and management of a diving trip
- One of the most interesting parts!
- Learn to prepare the boat, select a site according to conditions (tide, current, visibility, etc.), logistics, types of divers, types of dives, times of the year, etc.
- When you go diving, the pre-dive briefing is essential to guide the team.
- It cthere are a number of points that we need to review with the divers and it learns: presentation of the site and its interests (see make a map), your role, review signs, marine life, type of diving (drift or return to the boat), parameters of the dive (maximum time and depth ...), emergency procedures ...
Draw the map of a dive site (Mapping)
- As a divemaster and once you know the sites where you dive, you will have to be able to draw and explain to the diver the site on which you bring them.
- This exercise is to teach you how to make a map of a dive site incorporating all mandatory / interesting elements : name, orientation, topography, distances, depths, elements of interest, marine life, dive profile, potential current ...
Types of diving
- A divemaster must be able to guide all types of dives (or almost).
- You will therefore have to validate certain fairly common types of diving: deep (from 18 to 30m), at night, wreck, from the shore…
Guide a group
- Of course the ultimate goal is to guide his own palanquée from A to Z : preparation of the exit, support of the divers, preparation / verification of the equipment, briefing, underwater guidance ...
- The standards ask you to guide only once ... When you do it on an internship you will attend ten and tens briefings and you will have the chance to guide several times, with real divers and in real conditions! Again, no better than the divemaster in training (see "the 8 reasons to do his divemaster internship").
MY OPINION ON THE DIVEMASTER
On paper, the divemaster course is complete. You will "finally" really understand the different diving theories, make physical tests to be sure that you are able to handle emergency situations (even if they do not go as far as CMAS training on this point), increase your diving skills… For the purely “part dive guide "And assistant instructor, very honestly, the program is too light. You will do all the exercises only once ... This is the BIG difference when you do your divemaster on internship, you will be much better trained by repeating tasks.
Articles that may interest you: