If you make a trip to the philippines, you're probably going to be spending time Malapascua to can diving with thresher sharks and you wonder how long to stay ? I recommend a 3 day diving trip to Malapascua.
1. MONAD SHOAL: DIVING WITH THE FOX SHARKS!
- Of course, the flagship site of Malapascua is Monad Shoal and the unique opportunity to dive with the very rare thresher sharks.
- I let you read the full article here who will surely answer all your questions.
- In summary, the site is at 45 min by boathe is at 30m of backgroundit will be necessary to leave 4:30 am and you basically 90% chance to see them and on average you will see 4-5.
- All centers go there every day.
2. GATO ISLAND: THE PARADISE OF MACRO AND SHARK CAVE!
- Gato island is at 45 min by boat from Malapascua (we can not sleep there, it's tiny), it's a special trip where you will do 2 dives on the spot and then you come back (around 14-15h).
- Most people go there mostly to the famous " shark cave », the shark cellar! You enter a cave which passes under the island at around 8-10m, you navigate in it for a few minutes and when you arrive at the exit, white tip sharks are always there to wait for you (from 1 to 5 sharks)! They turn, go past you, go away, come back... you have the light of day behind, it's really superb!
- Diving in Gato island it is especially exceptional for the macro !
- There is everything Malapascua has to offer: pygmy seahorses, common seahorses, ghost fish, pipefish, frogfish, harlequins shrimps, nudibranches in shambles and we also often cross the very rare octopus with blue rings!
- Some soft corals all around the island are beautiful but visibility is often around 10 m.
- Almost all centers go there every day.
3. KALANGGAMAN ISLAND: A WALL WITH LARGE PELAGICS
- The island of Kalaggaman is quite far from Malapascua, at about 1h30So it's a special trip on the day.
- The island is superb with his famous sand crescent at the end.
- You will do 2 divesyou eat on the spot (a small barbecue) and you will have 1h-1h30 to stroll on the island.
- The dives in Kalanggaman are really nice!
- We actually dive along a wall, the visibility is always good (around 20m) and you have big chances to see bigger pelagics than in Malapascuatype school of jacks, snappers, baracudas... there are also 1 or sea turtles who are walking around.
- Not all centers go there and not every day.
4. DEEP ROCK OR DEEP SLOPE MALAPASCUA
- Around the island of Malapascua, the 2 dives that I advise you are Deep rock and Deep slope.
- They are north of Malapascua, both are submerged islands and full of soft corals and of macro : pygmy seahorses, seahorses, frogfish, nudibranchs in a mess and we also often cross the very rare octopus with blue rings !
- If you don't have the chance to go to Gato, make at least one of these 2 dives.
OTHER MALAPASCUA DIVES
Kimud shoal in Malapascua: hammerhead sharks?
- If you are in the right season (January-March), you can do this dive after monad shoal and you may be lucky to see hammerhead sharks!
- But nothing is guaranteed of course ...
It is a very easy dive, shallow (10-15m), 20-30m from Malapascua, mainly intended for macro research : seahorses, nudibranchs in all directions, frogfish ...
Dona marilyn wreck
It is a huge wreck of a ferry that can be found very far from Malapascua and only for experienced divers. Few centers go there (I could not go). I know that French kiss divers goes there, to organize with them!
The French club of Malapascua: French Kiss Divers
- As its name suggests, this center is run by French people!
- Great atmosphere, very pro, French speaking instructors, several boats, good quality material, flexible…
- They do Gato and Kalanggamanso you can easily organize your dive days with them
- Furthermore, they provide all the courses of open water at the divemaster, going through the nitrox or deep specialties and it's also an SSI Instructor Training Center.
- Finally, they have the sunset bar !!
3 DAY STAY DIVING IN MALAPASCUA:
- 1 day : Monad shoal (fox sharks) + Gato island (2 dives)
- 2 days: day to Kalaggaman (2 dives)
- 3 days : Deep rock and Deep Slop
- In season (January-March): try diving with hammerhead sharks at Kimud Shoal
Articles that may interest you:
- Malapascua thresher sharks
- Top 10 Philippines
- All diving destinations in the Philippines
- Apo island
- Apo Reef
- Bohol, Panglao, Balicasag
- Coron, Coron wrecks, Barracuda lake, The dugongs of Coron
- Donsol, Snorkeling in Donsol
- The sardines of Moalboal
- Padre Burgos
- Puerto Galera
- Tubbataha reef